Sunday, November 7, 2010

"The Windy Apple" - Homer Simpson

Rich and I just got back from New York City. We had so much fun!! We got a hotel right by the Ed Sullivan theater (it was pretty dumpy and small, but we LOVED the location).

This was our first day there. These are genuine smiles because the lady who took our picture was holding the camera toward her at first so we could see her up close face on the camera's screen. We still laugh about that.

We made a visit to the public library that day. We tried to spend a lot of time inside, since it was yucky outside because of the rain. I love this library... it's so beautiful inside. There is a ton to see here.





We won tickets to the David Letterman show! It was one of the most enjoyable things we did there. Steve Martin was his guest and made us laugh out loud.

This is ground zero.
We saw the Statue of Liberty from a distance.


I LOVE a good hot dog, and the ones sold on the streets of NYC are one of the best I've had. DELICOUS!

We visited this old church across from ground zero, that the firefighters used as a refuge after 9/11. It has all these old headstones in front of the church. SPOOKY!


We checked out Wall Street. Not very exciting, but the buildings sure are tall. :)


Here's the Brooklyn Bridge. Very pretty.

We made a stop at Grand Central Station.


It's a lot bigger than I imagined.

We stood in line for tickets to West Side Story in Times Square. While waiting, I asked Rich who that was a statue of in the background and he joked, "Me."

See the resemblance?

The curtain before West Side Story began. I loved this musical. The dancing was incredible, as well as the songs.

The NYC marathon was held today (Sunday) but we missed it since we left the city on Saturday. We did get to see all the preparations for it though and that was pretty cool. Here I am pretending to run at the finish line (I am SUPER grateful that I'm not really running it. Boo to running!!)

Rich in Central Park.

These are American Elms, in case you were wondering. You should plant them in your front yard. :)

Here is where we sat for a little snack. We got roasted almonds (So good!) and listened to a band play. You can see the people gathered off to the left of the photo.

Ah, Autumn!

Can you see those rowers in the water? That gave us a good idea...

This was a lot of fun! I was so nice to just sit and let Rich row us around the lake. Thanks, Rich! :)



We then ate at the best restaurant of our trip. It was a french restaurant in Central Park. I don't remember the name of it, but oh, boy... yum!! Rich got a tuna sandwich... the best tuna sandwich I've ever tasted, too.

And I got the hummus platter. YUM!

This was my view in the restaurant. It was really small, but I loved how they decorated with pumpkins.

Here we are, outside of Macy's. I can't wait to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and see this part of New York again!

Here's the Empire State building. It's very tall.

Rockefeller Center. We sat here and watched the ice skaters for a little minute. Everything is so festive there, this time of year!

They even wrap up their buildings!

Here we are lounging in our hotel lounge.


The swanky lobby. We really enjoyed our hotel, even though it was super loud. It felt like our home away from home for a few days.

Here we are in the Subway, waiting to go to Penn station, where we would then take the train over to Long Island for our final night.

The train ride over to Long Island.

What better way to end our trip than by eating McDonald's in bed, watching Dumb and Dumber? It was like icing on the cake! :)

5 comments:

Kelsi said...

Misty it was SO fun reading about your trip to NY. I love all the pictures and the stories. I def want to visit here someday. I am glad you took a lot of photos!

john + becky said...

Great pictures! It was fun seeing all that you and Rich got to do. It makes me REALLY want to go to New York.

Lili said...

How fun! I love New York, I can't wait to go back some day!

Corinne said...

Now you can see why I loved NYC! It was such fun living and working there in the early 70's. Always lots of interesting and fun things to do. I'm glad you loved it too.
I actually went to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade - incredible! Watch it for me this year.

The.Marcellus.Family said...

geeezz Jealous!!! I would love to go to New York, i feel like i did go looking at all your pictures! haha

Hey my blog is private so if you would like leave me your e-mail address so I canadd it to it:)
also text me sometime I MISS YOU

43-695-4463