Sunday, December 2, 2012

Washington Part 2

This is still on our 3rd day in Washington... we had just explored Point Defiance Park and decided to go get some lunch.



Michelle recommended Duke's Clam Chowder House and we couldn't thank her enough! Rich got clam chowder and I got corn chowder. We both agreed it was the BEST chowder we'd ever had! If you ever to go Tacoma... eat here!! There is a great view as well, as it's right on the water.



This is an old fire fighter boat near Duke's.
 


We then went back to Point Defiance to spend more time there, now that we weren't hungry. This is a garden there. So pretty! 


Sophia loved posing for the picture.
 


More gardens. 


The fog was beginning to clear and we could see the water.
 


There is an old fort in the park called Fort Nisqually. It used to be a trading post or something. We walked around, and tried to avoid the creepy tour guides.
 


There is a fun area where kids can play like the settlers did. There is a puppet show curtain and Rich put on a very talented show for us. There were also games and other activities. It would be fun to take older kids there.
 


One of the lookout points. (Notice Sophia kicked back again!)
 


We then went for a little hike. I love the green ferns. I was hoping to see a HUGE slug, like there usually are on these trails, but no luck on this day. 


I love this picture!
 


The next day, we drove back to Olympia and went to the farmer's market. This is my favorite market in the whole world! It's such a cute place, with good food, and good entertainment. Plus it's right by the water, which I love!
 


We bought a bunch of apples to taste test on our drive home. 


Rich eating some more chowder.


Sophia dancing on the tables.
 


We went for another hike at a park I used to go to all the time. I couldn't find the trail I usually hiked on so we went on a shorter, different one. I was cracking up at Sophia because she just wanted me to hold her. Not sure why she wasn't happy with Rich.
 


This is where the trail ended. Have I mentioned I like the water??
 


She is much happier now that we found a swing and a cracker.
 


We then went to Tumwater Falls and watched the salmon run. It was seriously, one of the best things we did there! 


We watched the fish try to jump up the waterfall. I learned a lot about the life cycle of salmon. Apparently, they will always come back to the place they were born to spawn. They swim thousands and thousands of miles to come back and have babies. Once they have babies, their life cycle is over and they die. I am amazed that they can be out in the ocean for years, but still remember how to swim back to the place they were born.

To be continued...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: